E.A.T. - Lancashire, England

OK, here goes first Eating Around The World (and England) post.

I am doing a double challange. Eating my way around the world (EAT)and eating my way around the counties of England (and I shall add a few from Ireland, Wales and Scotland) (EAT-UK). So the first recipe is Lancashire hotpot, because I live in Lancashire and I liked the look of the recipe featured on the crafykook website in her England post. The eating my way around England idea came from watching the hairy bikers tour of the UK cooking programme. I thought it was a good idea and needed a veggie version!



Lancashire Hotpot veggie style (based on this recipe, with a few changes)

1 tbsp vegetable oil such as rapeseed oil
1/2 white onion diced
2 small carrots, diced
1 sweet potato, diced
1 acorn squash diced (any root vegetable will do, I just used this as it was on the reduced rack, when I went shopping!)
vitalite margarine
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas (I used dried that I soaked overnight and then cooked for 90 mins to save money! I cook several batches at once and freeze the rest in tin size portions.)
1 can aduki beans (you can use any pulses, I just used these, as I got them some organic ones for 19p from a bargain shop!)
dried mixed herbs and black pepper to taste
3 large potatoes steamed and sliced thinly

First I put the chopped veg and the potatoes on to steam, in separate steamer pans. The vegetables being in the bottom pan. I the fried the chopped onion in some rapeseed oil for a minute, then added a tbsp margarine and the steamed chopped vegetables and cooked for a further few minutes. When soft, I added the chickpeas, aduki beans and tinned tomatoes. Stir and add dried herbs and pepper to taste. Simmer until cooked. The potatoes should be cooked now, so take off the heat. You can put in a ovenproof dish and top with potato slices and grill and then serve from this dish. If doing this, dot with margarine and season with pepper as you lay the slices on. I don't bother with this personally, just more washing up! I just serve the veg and top with the potato slices and serve with vegetables and gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment