Frugalised chickpea crumble

Made the veganised version of Lesleys chick pea crumble for Weezl's vegan plan in the 80p a day challenge and lovely it was too. (oil was used instead of marg and no cheese)



Chick Pea Crumble
Serves 4


1tbsp rapeseed oil
100g onion, chopped
225g potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
400g tin tomatoes (I rinsed out the can with about 2cm of water, as Lesley said it needed more liquid)
425g tin chickpeas
black pepper
1 tsp garam masala
half a tsp Colmans mustard ( I used 1/2 tsp french mustard, as I've not got any mustard powder)

Crumble
75g plain white flour
25g rolled oats
40g rapeseed oil
25g salted peanuts

Saute the onion, and potatoes for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes. Add the garam masala and mustard. Simmer gently with lid on for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Crumble – mix oil into flour and oats and stir in the peanuts, breaking them up a little with the back of a spoon. Stir the chickpeas into the tomato sauce, season with black pepper and salt to taste. Put into a greased ovenproof dish and top with the crumble. Bake at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for about 40-45 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Okay Womble! Now this is what I'm talkin' about. A veggie meal I can actually live on. But what's the heck is garam masala? I guess they'll tell me at my vegetaria market where they have everything. Regardless any vegetarian meal that starts with me sauting onions and potatos and then putting in peanuts and oats I'm going to love. Thank you for this, honestly. Ooooo, let me go check out the old cookbooks. Will post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garam masala is a mixture of spices used in indian cooking. Look on here for more info: May be called something else in the US, like lots of things are. Hope you enjoy it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala

    ReplyDelete