Healthy Fruit cake

Another recipe from the eat well spend less, the book that I won, slightly adapted. This will be the last from me, as I am now going to give the book away. This recipe has no sugar, fat or eggs, yet it is like a traditional fruit cake and very sweet. In fact its too sweet for me! I shall be giving it to relatatives for a pressie.

The book says the ingredients cost £2.25

200g dates
300ml hot water
100g wholemeal self raising flour
75g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
400g raisins
1 tbsp mandarin/orange juice

This cooks at 180C/gas 4 (160c for my fan oven)

Chop the dates and soften in the hot water. Mash to break up the dates.
In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and spice. Add the raisins, juice and mix. Add the dates and water mix.
Stir well to incorporate all the flour.
Bake in a 2lb loaf or cake tin .
Bake for 1 hour, then reduce the heat to 160C/gas 3 for a further 15 mins. Test with a skewer, if it comes out clean its cooked, may need up to 15 mins longer.

So if you have a sweet tooth and want to avoid sugar and you are ok with dried fruit, this ones for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment