Sweet potato burgers

I tried another recipe from Eat Well spend less, the book that I won. There is only 3 main and 3 dessert recipes that I plan to try before giving it away, as most of the book is meat based. I have already tried spicy tofu burgers, so today was spicy sweet potato balls and tomorrow hopefully it will be mushroom and cashew nut roast. Well I didn't exactly follow the recipe and it didn't exactly taste as good as most recipes I tried, but I know the 3 that are left, should fry up nicely. The reason was, that I baked them and there was a lot of wholemeal flour on the outside, that still tasted of flour, otherwise ok. I covered in gravy, so I didn't taste it!!
So here is my version.

Spicy Sweet potato burgers (original is balls, but I couldn't be bothered to make lots of those, so it was 5 large burgers)

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
oil to fry
1 onion, chopped
garlic
chilli powder
2 large tomatoes or equivalent cherry tomatoes, chopped
coriander
turmeric
cayenne pepper
wholemeal flour
instant oats or breadcrumbs to thicken as necessary

These I cooked at 180C, but I think they would be nice fried if you can get them firm enough

Steam sweet potatoes and then mash with marg and soya milk.
Fry onion, garlic and chilli powder in oil.
Add tomatoes and spices and stir for 1 minute.
Add to mash and mix well.
Now the recipe said to use a little flour and roll into balls and then coat in breadcrumbs. I didn't have any bread, so used lots of flour and instant oats to thicken. I think the amount you need would depend on size of sweet potatoes, onion and tomatoes especially. I had a very wet mixture, so needed loads. I wish I had defrosted some bread and thickened with breadcrumbs and then rolled in them. But there is always next time.

Anyway, have a go based on the ingredients and suit the spices to your tastes. I love sweet potatoes and will definately try another version based on the ingredients and not so much flour.
Sorry no picture today!

1 comment: