Apple and Prune Cake

112g plain wholemeal bread flour (or ordinary wholemeal flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1.5 tbsp sweet freedom (or golden syrup)
112g dried chopped prunes (or figs)
62ml pineapple juice (or apple juice)
62ml rapeseed vegetable oil (or sunflower oil)
1 eating apple
optional 1 tbsp sunflower seeds

Grease a 20cm round cake tin or use a silicone one like I did - no need to grease!
Heat oven to 180C/350F/gas 4 or 160C fan oven.
Sift flour into mixing bowl, returning the bran, add the baking powder and spice. Add the sweet freedom, chopped prunes, juice and oil. Grate the apple into the bowl. Beat until mixed, then put into the cake tin and spread to level. OPTIONAL: sprinkle with sunflower seeds
Bake for 30 mins. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool. Enjoy! Can also be served with soya cream.

This recipe was adapted from a apple and fig recipe and all the bracket options are the original recipe choices. I have made the original which was double this recipe in a deeper 20cm tin and baked for 1 hour. The original I thought had too much spice, but this one was just fine. I have also made the recipe lower fat by 32ml oil and an additonal 32ml or juice and it worked fine. Original was from a book called 'eat to beat the menapause', author was a Linda I believe, as I only have a page I photocopied from a library book

No comments:

Post a Comment