Chestnut and chickpea balls

You may of seen my chestnut and chickpea bake that I also doubled and made into a savoury cake!

Well I wanted to revisit this recipe and see If I could make a version to use instead of falafels on my salad. I also didn't want to be bothered with frying and baking. So adapted the recipe to fit and also used onion instead of shallots.


1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion
1 small clove garlic
dash chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp tumeric
50g vacuum packed chestnuts
Juice of 1/2 lemon
220g/7oz canned chickpeas (1/2 can)
2 slices granary bread

I put everything in a food processor and whizzed up. You may need to add a drop of water or two to get it moving or add things gradually depending on your machine. I then shaped them into balls and popped in the oven to bake.
I was using the oven when it was on so didn't take notice of temperature or time they took. I would say 180 - 190 degrees for 15-20 minutes possibly, but keep an eye on them. You could also bake as per the original bake recipe or cake using this onion version instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment