Rhubarb and Apple Crumble Overnight Oats

Overnight Oats Weekly Recipe - Week 4

I had one stalk of rhubarb left and was wondering what to do with it and didn't fancy making a crumble with just one stalk. So rhubarb crumble overnight oats was created.

3/4 cup oats
1 1/2 cups soya milk (I actually used 2 cups, but it was too much, so I think this would be the right amount, but you can always add more if needed or to serve)
1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 stalk of rhubarb, washed and chopped very small
1 apple, washed and chopped
dates (chopped) to sweeten (optional)
muesli topping or oats to serve for the crumble part

There is two ways of doing this.

1st option: put all ingredients except apple and muesli in a bowl to soak overnight in the fridge, then the following morning add the chopped apple and warm if preferred, then top with muesli to serve. As the rhubarb is raw it can be very tart, so chop very small.

2nd option: whiz up all the ingredients except apple and muesli in a blender, then pour into a bowl and leave to soak overnight in the fridge. In the morning, add the chopped apple and warm the oats if you prefer. Then top with muesli to serve. In this option, you don't taste the tartness of the rhubarb, as its broken down and mixed throughout.

I just sprinkled the muesli on one side so you could see the look of the oats!


Now I just need a custard apple (cherymoya) to serve on top! Cherymoya fruit has a custard like texture and tastes like custard. Is described as tasting like a combination of banana, passion fruit, papaya and pineapple. They are usually sold in Indian stores, although I first got introduced to them in a veggie box. I don't know if I can buy them locally, so will just have to go without!!!

I plan to do a new overnight oats post every week. Probably on Thursday or Friday mornings, so please follow my blog if you want to get new overnight oats breakfast ideas. My other overnight oats recipes.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays over at Green Thickies.

We are on facebook. We have a page and a chat room. Please feel free to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment