Brown lentil indian style carrot pate

This is how I made it. I would of usually used garlic cloves, but just in case I'm out as I was today, I always keep in garlic granules which are a good substitute.

After cooking this just as I put it in my food processor to blend I started eating it and probably ate a third of it, before it was blended, so can't say exactly how much it makes. So all I can say is, its yummy hot and cold!

100g brown lentils
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tsp garlic granules (I will try 3 cloves next time)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
3 carrots (mine weighed 275g before peeling)
80ml vegetable stock (I used 1/4 of a stock cube)
1 tbsp tomato puree
sprinkle of salt and pepper to season

Serve with a flatbread like chapati or naan bread

Check over the lentils for stones, then rinse them and put them in a pan and cover with about twice as much water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 mins. Drain and leave in pan until later.
Chop the carrot into small pieces. I quarter them lengthways and then slice, so you get quarter slices. You could grate if you prefer.
Heat the oil on a medium heat and fry the onion, garlic, spices and carrot, stirring often. After about 5 mins, add the lentils, stock and tomato puree. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Leave in pan to cool.

Transfer to a food processor, season with salt and pepper and process to a pate consistency. Bits of lumps are ok and gives it a more rustic/home cooked look! This could also be served without pureeing alongside some flatbread.
This pate is best served warm. Not idea for standard sandwiches cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment