Vegan fried egg using tofu and The Vegg

I was very kindly sent a packet of The Vegg mixture to try and a copy of the cookbook. Currently only really available online, but hopefully will be available in health food stores soon. I like it so far, but did find the recipe book had a few complicated recipes including a friend egg that sounded like a science experiment using odd ingredients which I would have no idea where to buy. So I went for the easy option. I opened a pack of firm silken tofu and sliced it thin, shaping it a little to round the corners a bit to give it a bit more of a fried egg shape. This didn't use the whole pack and the rest will be whizzed up with cocoa and sweetener to make a chocolate pudding! So this was fried with a sprinkle of black salt and pepper on both sides to give it even more of a egg taste. Black salt smells like eggs due to the sulphur smell. This wasn't essential, but seen others had done it and I had the black salt anyway. I make up The Vegg yolk which you just whizz up with water in a blender for 15 seconds, very simple. Once the tofu white was fried on both sides I microwaved the yolk to warm and toasted some toast to serve it on. Once the toast was 'buttered' with margarine I added the tofu white and then poured the yolk over it. Very tasty and filling and something I would do again. A lot of the recipe in the book I would not use, but I am very impressed by this recipe and the scrambled tofu recipe that i used The Vegg for the other day and even if these were the only two recipes I used it for, it would still be worth buying.

I am giving a copy of The Vegg and The Vegg cookbook away during February, see this post for details.
Open to UK only residents this time and closes at the end of February.



2 comments:

  1. Ooh I may have a go at this! I used the Vegg for the first time by making scrambled tofu which was really nice. I wanted to make the scrambled veggs but I agree, a lot of the recipes are really complicated. I suppose another simple way of using it would be to heat up the vegg and dip toast soldiers in it, I used to love that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a try. If you liked the scramble I am sure you will like this. I am going to try the bread soldier dipping too!

      Delete